Scoping possibility of a ESRC innovation grant.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Christian Reynolds 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Request made by: Knowledge Exchange Research Fellow N8 AgriFood project, The University of Sheffield
  • Author

Christian Reynolds
    Participant

Hello FRC,
    Apologies for cross posting.

Last week I attended an STFC workshop on using new data methods on food and agriculture problems (http://gtr.rcuk.ac.uk/projects?ref=ST%2FP003079%2F1). There was much discussion of using different STFC Data Science methods and technologies on the current food consumption and production data sets to answer some interesting/challenging questions. On the way home from this event I found out that the CDRC and ESRC have launched a “small” innovation fund for small data driven projects (https://www.cdrc.ac.uk/news-archive/cdrc-launches-esrc-innovation-fund/). 20-60k grant, due 31 July, 2017. Projects will run from early October 2017 and must be completed no later than the end of September 2018.

I think that consumer food purchase and consumption work might fit into the “Ways of Being in a Digital Age” sub stream that coupled with the Big Data and Retail, Sustainable and Ethical Consumption, and Health and Consumer Behaviours  research areas.

After speaking to a few of the people from the STF network+ event I am thinking of putting in a bid for this call. We are still tossing ideas back and forth, however, to align more with the call I think the idea maybe to focus onto “the digital ways of being” theme, and look at online food purchases, and see how these differ from in-store purchases and dietary patterns. This could then develop later into a project that more broadley compares different food purchase and consumption data sources and use some harmonisation methods to understand what is the common ‘truth’ across these data sets (i.e. what are people actually eating). We could then apply this dietary harminatison to the environemtnal impact of diet (and LCA data).

Would anyone on the network be interested in forming a consortium for this bid, or being kept abrest of the developments/outputs?Feel free to email me at c.reynolds@sheffield.ac.uk
    Cheers
    Christian.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.